One of the deadliest things that could be in your home is something that you can’t smell or taste or see, but it is toxic to both people and animals.
What is it?
Carbon monoxide is produced by most commonly by things such as gas appliances, heaters and even tobacco smoke. CO in small amounts may not be harmful, but too much CO can be lethal. This is why many people have started placing carbon monoxide alarms in their home to warn them when too much CO is present.
A carbon monoxide alarm will sound when there is the presence of carbon monoxide and will be loud enough to wake people up if they are sleeping. A carbon monoxide alarm can be set to go off when any carbon monoxide is detected.
Sometimes if people have been exposed to carbon monoxide but not a lethal dose, they may show symptoms that appear to be the flu – vomiting, headache, vertigo, etc. Someone who has been exposed to CO for an extended period of time can cause disorientation and may cause some heart problems as well.
Because of the risks associated with carbon monoxide, virtually every organization that deals with home alarm systems also can help you get a carbon monoxide alarm set up and running as well – because with carbon monoxide, you can’t be too safe.